Longest blog post title ever? Maybe. But what can I say? I’m pretty jazzed that we not only have a separate room for our guests to stay in when they come to visit, but that it’s also a pretty huge room. We’re talking about 20′ x 15′! So I’ve had big plans for how I would eventually decorate my “beautiful guest room!” (which I only hear in Monica’s voice when she and Chandler finally move in together. MERGE!)
Rewind to the beginning of the year. Derek and I went to Houston to visit his parents (post wedding) and of course we went to Target. They had just launched this line that I’ve been jonesing over for months, so I was pretty excited to see it all in person. I already had a list of items I wanted from that line, and at the top of said list was a pair of the coral upholstered x-frame benches with white piping. They weren’t online, so I knew I was going to have to hunt these suckers down. Well on this trip I found one. ONE! So I bought it in hopes that when I got back to San Antonio I would find it’s mate. Eight Targets later and no such luck. Let me just point out that about 90% of the San Antonio Targets were really slacking on this whole line. They only had about 25% of the collection, which made me really sad. I texted a few of my friends that live near Targets I don’t frequent to keep an eye out for my bench’s BFF. And crossed all of my limbs while I waited.
Fast forward to last week. I had my poor little lonely bench in the back of my car on it’s way to being returned because I had pretty much given up on finding it’s mate. Then my dear friend Sophie texted me this:
I just about died. The Target she was at was about 30 minutes from where I live, but I booked it. And then instagramed something like this (and I may or may not have quoted Duck Dynsasty):
“Lookie here lookie here! Good things have come our way! #happyhappyhappy”
I was pretty excited to finally have my pair of benches that I planned to use at the foot of my guest bed. I knew I wanted the room to be quirky and colorful, yet still pretty relaxing for our guests. I’ve been obsessed with these pillows for a while, and when I saw that they were on sale I pounced. Yes my shopping method is very much like hunting in the jungle.. Or a kitten. You decide.
But before I committed to this purchase, I checked Amazon to see if they had them any cheaper, which they did! They were only $54 each at the time (now they’re back up to $80 sorry..) so I got the pair using Prime with free two day shipping. Winner winner. I always forget that Amazon has ..um.. everything. And I hate paying shipping. I know that $54 may sound a little high for a pillow, but they are 20″ square AND come with a down feather insert. These babies are luxe. I was kind of surprised at how big they were when they arrived. So now that my main decorative pieces are here, I can finally start to see the room come together. Here is a little mood board I whipped up to show you guys what I have planned..
- Since the master bedroom will be very dark, I wanted to contrast this and make the guest room light and tranquil using Benjamin Moore’s Healing Aloe.
- I plan to use crisp white linen drapery panels for the two large windows, so that optimum light can enter the room during the day.
- I’ve been wanting to make another button tufted headboard, so I thought the guest bed would be a perfect opportunity. I’d like to use a rich cobalt in a nice plush velvet for some dimension.
- To downplay the bright colors sprinkled around the room I want to just have fresh white linens with a simple white quilt or duvet cover, along with these square-tuck euro shams I picked up at West Elm a few years ago that add such a great texture.
- For the night stands I wanted to provide some additional storage to our guests who rather not live out of a suitcase, so I think that I’ll flip some Ikea Rast night stands to make them look more campaign style. I think it would be a pretty fun hack.
- I’ve been searching for a fun whimsical pair of lamps to flank each side of the bed, and I just love these artichoke style versions. I have one similar to this I just wish I would have grabbed it’s mate while I was at HomeGoods.
- And last but not least I’d like to add some black and white photographs from our honeymoon above the bed to really tie everything together and make the space a bit more personal.
So those are the plans for the guest bedroom. I’m sad that this room won’t be complete by the time Derek’s parents come to visit this weekend, but it’s about halfway there :) As of tonight we’re officially done house/dog sitting so I can finally finish up a slew of projects that I’ve been itching to share with you guys. Also.. I have a pretty great surprise for you next week. Suspense!