Ashley over at A Hasty Life has started up a pretty awesomely invasive blog crawl where we get to see what our favorite blogger friends keep in their bags. Each blogger on this blog crawl is asked to share the contents of their bag, and then pass the torch on to the next blogger! [Don't forget to see what Blakley over at Coastal Detour posted yesterday about her bag.]
I’m a guy. This should be pretty easy. I don’t carry a “bag” per say. I have my laptop bag which I usually have on me at all times when I’m at school or work so we’ll do that one!
- I almost always have form of written word in my bag. I might not pry it open for weeks.. when the opportunity arrises I certainly will. I try to keep it to things pertaining to architecture and design. Here we see a very interesting text on the rebuilding process of the Lower Ninth Ward in New Orleans, and of course, the Book of Tea.
- You will ALWAYS find a sketchbook or 3 in my bag. They will migrate through out my life and projects.. I’ve tried to keep one consistently the whole way through but I’m like a girl with accessories when it comes to sketchbooks. I’ll grab which ever one looks the most attractive or whatever mood I’m in.
- Following the previous topic… to sketch you need a tool or mode of recording your stroke…. I prefer fountain pens. These are disposable but EXCELLENT in that respect. Fountain pens offer you the chance to get 2 different line weights out of a single pen. flip it over and with the nib facing the other way you get thinner line and visa versa.
- You never know when headphones and flash light will come in handy. I also have a small LED flashlight on my keychain, but a good Mag Light is essential. I also have my iPhone charger and a few cables I might ned to connect to other computers should the need present itself.
- Probably the most important object in my bag is my laptop. A lot of what I do and think about revolves around technology and my computers.
- I have an older laptop and battery isn’t what it used to be, so I certainly can’t go to long or far without the power cable.
- Since I’m in different places all the time meeting with different people most days I try to carry all the business cards that are important to me. I have Derek Klepac Design, Catharine F. Stevens, and Derek and Catharine.
- Since I’ve been job hunting off and on with the move and starting school again I tend to carry a copy of my resume and cover letter around everywhere. Can’t hurt to be prepared.
- Our breath isn’t always the best so I try to have something form of retaliation in the bag.
I switch out bags a LOT but once I find one I love, I stick with it for a while. I’m known to tote around the elbow bag because they hold a lot and they aren’t shoved under my armpit, but they make shopping more difficult because I’m a very hands on person.
So I’ve switched some something a little more functional, for the time being. We’ll see how long it lasts! [I'm already dying for this one]
- My Louis Faux-ton purse is from a vintage shop, and I have no idea if it’s real or not [I'd lean more toward no considering it wasn't very pricey]. I love that it’s more of a satchel style because I like to have my hands free while shopping. It’s also and safe from pickpockets when I’m traveling because of the nice flap over closure.
- I never know when I’ll need to jot down an idea or a list [yes I know, I have an iPhone] but I still love pen and paper and I always carry around a blank notebook just in case inspiration arises.
- I definitely can’t function without my iPhone 4, I mean how else would I play Angry Birds?
- Yes, that’s a tape measurer. And it’s engraved! It was a gift from my friend Kate’sfamily. Interior Designers always have to measure things on the fly, so I think this is a really chic way to carry around a tape measurer without looking like Tim “The Toolman” Taylor.
- I never know who I’m going to run into for a networking opportunity, so I always keep the blog’s, derek’s, and my business cards on me just in case. [All printed at Zoo Printing]
- You know I always have a handful of bobby pins on me, and a few hair ties for good measure.
- Sunglasses. These get swapped out every now and then, but right now they’re oversized tortoise frames to protect my fair skin for the harsh rays.
- I never go anywhere without my lip protection: Bigelow lip gloss [for shine and fresh breath] and Burts Bees [for SPF protection and healing from the wintery elements]
- Of course I have a matching wallet [which I'm looking to replace, I really want this one] I honestly hate having one this big, but I have to keep my checkbook on me at all times just in case I wind up at a flea market or a junk shop where they don’t take plastic because I try not to ever have cash on me.
- Writing essentials are essential. I can’t get over this Apple pen Derek brought me home from Cupertino, CA. The ink flow is perfection. That’s right, I get excited over pens too.
What’s in your bag? Don’t forget to see what in Anna’s bag over at And Everything Else tomorrow.