We love love love home remedies! Why spend tons of $$$ to fix a problem when you can use ingredients that you already have lying around the house? Here are a few of our favorites that have worked like a charm!
Problem: Staph infection
Solution: minced garlic
Okay so this one may not apply to many of you, or may gross you out, but if you’re a receiver of the occasional Staph you know that its a repeat offender. So why pay lots-o-cash at the Doctor just for him to tell you that you’ve yet again correctly diagnosed yourself and that there’s nothing to do but clean it and suffer.. Get excited!
- Before you go to bed, make sure the infected area is clean and that it has some form of an opening so that it is properly draining.
- Put a spoonful of minced garlic (the juicier the better) on the area and wrap thoroughly with a bandage
- When you wake up it will be gone! Seriously. We’ve used it many a time.
Problem: stress/tension in your shoulders
Solution: Prasarita Padottanasana D (forward fold yoga pose)
I am a huge carrier of stress in my shoulders and nothing has ever worked. Massages, changing my posture, reducing stress, nothing. Until the day that I was introduced to yoga. Now don’t be scared, you don’t even have to know what yoga is to do this pose. It’s a quick 30 second pose that will instantly relieve the stress buildup in your shoulders and all the way down your spine. My back is tingling just thinking about it!
- Spread your legs as far apart as you can and fold forward
- Keep your head and neck heavy and relaxed, looking straight ahead (not the floor!)
- If you can, grab under the outside of your feet with the palms of your hands, if you can’t reach then just touch the floor
- If you’re really flexible then touch the crown of your head to the floor while your hands are still under your feet
- Do this for at least 30 seconds
Problem: clogged drain
Solution: baking soda + vinegar + boiling hot water
Got a stubborn drain? No need for harsh chemicals, just some common household items you’ll find right in your kitchen!
- If there’s any standing water, use a bucket to remove as much as possible
- Pour down 1 cup of baking soda followed by 1 cup of white vinegar
- Let it foam and fizzle for about 5min and then add 1 gallon of boiling water
And now for some quick and easy fixes..
Problem: spots on your drinking glasses
Solution: Add vinegar to the water while washing.
Problem: tough grime on cast iron pans
Solution: Make a scrubbing paste with vegetable oil and a teaspoon of coarse salt to combat cooked-on debris, then rinse with hot water.
Problem: stinky furniture/carpet
Solution: Pour baking soda on the spot and vacuum up.
Problem: greasy garage floors
Solution: Pour baking soda generously on oil and grease spots and sprinkle with water until a paste forms. Let stand overnight. The next day, scrub with a damp brush, hose down, and wipe clean.
Problem: dingy faucets
Solution: To polish, smear a dime-size amount of toothpaste onto them, then buff with a soft cloth until they shine.
Problem: messy spill in your oven
Solution: Pour salt on the spill to soak it up. When the oven is cool, wipe with a damp sponge.
Problem: tarnished copper cookware
Solution: Squeeze ketchup onto a cloth and rub it on pots and pans. They should go back to their coppery color in minutes. Rinse with warm water and dry with a towel.
Problem: stinky kitchen sink
Solution: Run a lemon half through the garbage disposal.
Problem: dusty artificial flowers
Solution: Pour salt into a paper bag along with artificial flowers and shake around. The salt with attract the dust and make your flowers look bright again.
Well there you have it.. a bunch of natural, affordable, and easy home remedies! Do you have any that have worked for you in the past? We’d love to add some more to our list!